Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time


Another year, another big-budget Jerry Bruckheimer action movie. This time around we have Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, an video game adaptation starring Jake Gyllenhaal as the titular Prince.

No, wait! Come back! It's alright!

When I first heard that Gyllenhaal was going to be playing Prince Dastan, I was pretty put-off of the whole thing. It just didn't seem right. An all-American actor playing a Middle-Eastern hero just didn't fit. After seeing the movie, I was pleasantly surprised with his performance. He definitely proved himself as a swashbuckling action hero.

As for the rest of the movie, it was a pretty standard story about betrayal and revenge in a royal family. There was really nothing we haven't seen before. The good guys are good, the bad guys are bad, and the comic relief is, well, comical.

Prince of Persia could be considered a successful video game adaptation by default, since it isn't terrible like almost all other adaptations are. I just didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. If you're looking for some lighthearted summer action reminiscent of Pirates of the Caribbean, you'll probably be pretty satisfied with Prince of Persia. I know I was.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment