Sunday, June 13, 2010

The A-Team


I went into the A-Team with little to no expectations. I don't want to say I was disappointed, but I wasn't exactly blown away either. I'm going to say this: The most excited I ever got in the entire movie was when Jon Hamm (Mad Men's Don Draper) made an appearance at the end. Make of that what you will.

The best part of the cast (and possibly, the movie), by far, was Sharlto Copley. Copley was unknown until he starred in last year's fantastic District 9. I was so glad to see him cast in a big Hollywood movie, and he did not disappoint. He brought the most life to the movie.

The movie itself, however, was very by-the-numbers. There were plenty of big, ridiculous action set pieces, which start to get old very quickly. We are asked to suspend disbelief so many times throughout the movie that after a while, these action scenes become boring and tedious.

The A-Team can be compared in many ways to The Losers, which I loved. The A-Team might have had a bigger budget and better special effects, but what The Losers lacked in those departments, it more than made up for with a fantastic cast and a lot of heart.

All in all, the A-Team isn't bad, but it's not very memorable. Unless you really have a desire to see it, you're really not missing out on much.

C+

No comments:

Post a Comment